Trail Steward Program
Join the Trail Steward Program and adopt your favorite trail. With the massive backlog of work needed on trails throughout the Forest Preserve, you can help keep the trails sustainable. In addition to keeping the trails open by clearing brush and cutting blowdown, you will also work to offset erosion by keeping the drainages clear. Your annual report and regular observations are passed along to the regional DEC foresters to assist them in determining where more intensive trail projects are required. Groups are welcome.
ADK’s Trail Steward Program is supported by a Volunteer Stewardship agreement (VSA) with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
For more information and to get involved, contact Herbert Coles, email@example.com, Trail Steward Coordinator, 136 Beach 117th St Ocean Grande Unit 201 (2A), Rockaway Park, NY 11694.
The following are examples of trails available for you to adopt today.
- Ampersand Mountain
- Bone & Rat Pond – Portages -Lake Clear Fish Hatchery
- Catamount Mt
- Fish Pond Connector ski trail
- Good Luck Cliffs
- Hedgehog Pond Trail
- Hitchins Pond Overlook
- Hopkins—from the Phelps trail to the Van Hovenberg trail
- Hurricane from the East
- Indian Canoe Carry
- Kane Mt from North
- Little Clear to St. Regis Pnd. (canoe carry)
- Lows to Big Deer Pond (canoe carry)
- Mud Pond – Rt 3
- N-PT Cedar Lake Dam to Sucker Brook Trail Jct.
- N-PT Duck Hole to Moose Pond
- N-PT Lake Durant to Stephens Pond L-T
- N-PT Ouluska LT to Duck Hole
- N-PT Peacock Brook to Moose Pond
- N-PT Shattuck Clearing to Ouluska LT
- N-PT Rt 28N south to Ridge
- N-PT Ridge S/O Rt 28 to Salmon River Road
- N-PT Sucker Brook Trail Junction to West Canada Creek
- Old Farm Clearing to Puffer Pond
- Phelps Trl./Slant Rock
- Saginaw Bay Canoe Carry – Middle & Upper Saranac Lakes
- Shorey Shortcut
- Short Job
- Springhill Ponds
- Van Hoevenburg Trail – HPIC to Mt. Marcy
- West Mountain Uncas Rd , Sucker Brook Bay , summit