Join the Trail Steward Program and adopt your favorite trail. With the massive backlog of work needed on trails throughout the Forest Preserve, you can help keep the trails sustainable. In addition to keeping the trails open by clearing brush and cutting blowdown, you will also work to offset erosion by keeping the drainages clear. Your annual report and regular observations are passed along to the regional DEC foresters to assist them in determining where more intensive trail projects are required. Groups are welcome.
ADK’s Trail Steward Program is supported by a Volunteer Stewardship agreement (VSA) with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
For more information and to get involved, contact:
Trail Steward Coordinator
The following are trails available for you to adopt today (as of January 2020):
- Ampersand Mtn.
- Big Moose Lake to Russian Lake
- Bone & Rat Ponds. Canoe Portages Lake Clear Hatchery
- Catamount Mtn.
- Fish Pond Connector — ski trail
- Good Luck cliffs
- Haystack Jct. (Ray Brook) to Jack Rabbit Trail
- Hedgehog Pond
- Hitchins Pond Overlook trail
- Hopkins Trail from Phelps Tr to Van Hovenberg Tr
- Hurricane Mtn – from the East #105
- Indian Canoe Carry
- Little Clear to St Regis Pond (canoe carry)
- Lows Lake to Big Deer Pond (canoe carry)
- Middle Settlement Loop
- Mud Pond — Rt 3
- Murphy Lake Trail — Creek Rd. to Pumpkin Hollow
- Nine Corners Tr.— Rt 29A to Nine Corners Lake
- N-P Trail Ouluska L-T to Shattuck Clearing
- N-P Trail Rt 28N to Ridge top
- N-P Trail Ridge top to Salmon River Rd.
- N-P Trail Mud Pond to Silver Lake
- Old Farm Clearing to Puffer Pond
- Peaked Mtn.
- Phelps Tr/Slant rock
- Saginaw Bay Canoe Carry (Middle to Upper Saranac Lakes)
- Shorey Short Cut
- Short Job