Johns Brook Lodge
Johns Brook Lodge is a backcountry lodge located in the heart of the Adirondack High Peaks outside of Keene Valley, NY. It is a 3.5-mile hike in from the Garden Parking Area in Keene Valley. The lodge sleeps 28 people in co-ed bunk rooms. During July and August rates include breakfast, lunch, and dinner. From mid-May to late-June and Labor Day to Columbus Day the lodge operates under caretaker service. This means guests provide and cook their own food and have full access to the JBL kitchen.
Built in 1925 with a rich and colorful history, Johns Brook Lodge is the only backcountry lodge in the Adirondacks. JBL accommodates 28 people in four bunkrooms. Two of the rooms sleep 10 people and two of the rooms sleep 4 people. The four person family rooms have two twin bunk beds in each room. Pillows and wool blankets are provided. Guests must bring sheets or sleeping bags and towels. A fireplace in the great room adds to the rustic charm.
- JBL is a Carry In, Carry Out facility. Please be prepared to pack out all of your own trash. The JBL crew carries in over 5,000 lbs. of food each year and carries out over 1,500 lbs. of trash. We appreciate you doing your part.
- There is a store at JBL that carries last minute necessities, novelties, and ADK merchandise. The store takes cash and credit cards.
- Check in is after 2 p.m.; Check out is by 11:00 a.m.
- Quiet hours from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
- Showers and toilets – There are two washrooms with running water and vault toilets, however there are no showers.
- Pets are not allowed in JBL.
- Smoking is not permitted in JBL or on the front deck.
- Children under 12 years old are half price. Children under 2 years old are free.
- Member rates – a 10% member discount is available to ADK members for food and lodging. Please give your membership number when settling your bill.
JBL Caretaker Service
Caretaker service is available at JBL in the weeks prior to and after the full service season (mid-May till late-June and Labor Day through Columbus Day). During caretaker season, a caretaker is available to provide trail information and oversee the lodge. There is no crew to serve meals, however the kitchen is available to guests to prepare the food they pack in.
The JBL kitchen includes refrigerators, pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, and running water. Let your culinary imagination run wild.
Coffee, tea, and lemonade are provided daily and are free for guests.
Guests are expected to do their own dishes and clean up after themselves.
JBL Full Service
The full service season runs from late-June till the Monday after Labor Day weekend. All meals are included in the price and must be ordered 24 hours in advance because food is packed into JBL by the staff.
Breakfast is served at 7:30 a.m. Trail lunches are prepared in advance and are available at breakfast.
Dinner is available at one seating beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Vegetarian/Vegan Meals and most food allergies can be accommodated with 24 hours advance notice.
We cannot offer the use of the kitchen and refrigerators to guests during full service.
The Johns Brook Valley offers a wide variety of hiking opportunities. The trip into the lodge alone can be a great hike for those just getting into hiking or backpacking, especially during the fall season. For those looking to hike the High Peaks, there are nine easily accessible from the lodge. A loop over Big Slide and Yard is a great way to start exploring the Johns Brook Valley, while the more adventurous may wish to tackle all or a portion of the Great Range (Lower Wolf Jaw -> Marcy).
For more information call our High Peaks Information Center at 518-523-3441. Additionally, feel free to ask the JBL staff questions while you are there, they know the trails in the area very well. For detailed trail descriptions you may consult the High Peaks Trails Guidebook.