Update April 8, 2020 – ADK extends property closures through May 14.
Update March 20, 2020 – Following Gov. Cuomo’s directive for New York State to PAUSE, we have made the following changes to our operations:
- There will be no parking booth attendant; parking fees are still required and will be administered by staff caretaking the property
Our staff can still be reached by phone and email, including our front desk staff, who are working from home. The following operations remain available:
- Lodging reservations for dates past May 1
- Education Program reservations for dates past May 1
- Online Retail
- Membership sales
March 14, 2020 – ADK (Adirondack Mountain Club) is temporarily closing all lodging facilities, the High Peaks Information Center, and Member Service Center starting March 16 through April 30 to minimize risks associated with novel coronavirus (COVID-19). While ADK does not have a confirmed case of novel coronavirus at any of its properties or facilities, we believe that preemptive action is key to protecting the health and safety of our guests, visitors, and staff. The closure applies to the following:
- Heart Lake Program Center (Lake Placid)
- Adirondak Loj
- Wilderness Campground at Heart Lake
- Heart Lake Cabins
- High Peaks Information Center
- Johns Brook Property (Keene Valley)
- Johns Brook Lodge
- Grace Camp and Camp Peggy O’Brien
- Johns Brook Lean-tos
- Member Service Center (Lake George)
- Retail store closed, online retail remains available
- Memberships and donations encouraged and appreciated online, by mail, or by phone
- ididaride! Adirondack Bike Tour (July 26) accepting registrations
Our staff will be available by phone and email, including our front office, which will continue to take summer reservations for lodging properties.
Reserved Guests and Program Participants: If you are a reserved guest at either the Heart Lake Program Center or Johns Brook Property between March 16 and April 30, you will receive a full refund for payments made on your stay. Program participants will have the option to either transfer to a later program or receive a full refund. If you have any questions, you can reach our front desk staff at 518-523-3441 from 8am-5pm daily or by email at email@example.com.
Day-Hikers: Hiker parking at the Heart Lake Program Center will remain open to the public, as will the restrooms on the back porch of the High Peaks Information Center. Please be aware that snowshoe, ski, and microspike rentals will not be available during this time. A parking attendant will be present on peak days to collect parking fees, direct traffic, and provide information.
ADK Members and Chapters: The CDC recommends that businesses minimize and/or cancel group events to help slow the spread of coronavirus. As such, ADK suggests avoiding in-person group meetings and events for staff, board members, and chapters until further notice. Our staff will be conducting meetings remotely using video conferencing software and phones. If you need help with setting up video conferencing, please reach out to Ben Brosseau, Director of Communications, using the contact info at the end of this document.
ADK will monitor the spread of novel coronavirus throughout this closure. As we near April 30, we will determine whether to extend closures any further. We will send out another notice announcing either the continuation of this closure, or the reopening of our properties. In the meantime, we encourage you to follow key preventative measures as outlined by the New York State Department of Health:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Heavily soiled hands should be washed.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
We thank you for your support of ADK and understanding during this difficult time.
Communications and Media
Director of Communications
518-523-3441, ext. 126
Director of North Country Operations
518-523-3441, ext. 116
518-523-3441, ext. 119