Spring Patrols, High Peaks Region
At the start of every hiking season, after the snow melts from the mountains, an initial “patrol” is conducted on most of the trails in the Eastern High Peaks. The focus of the patrol is to remove any debris that has accumulated in drainage ditches and water bars so they are ready to drain properly throughout the summer. Volunteers will also remove any blown down trees and also side cut any encroaching vegetation from the trails so they are clear for summer recreation. FREE.
2019 Spring Patrols Projects
The following projects will be offered this year for Spring Patrol. Most of the projects will leave directly from the HPIC on Saturday morning. Those on the JBL project will be shuttled from the HPIC parking lot to the Garden trailhead in Keene Valley, NY.
- Avalanche Lake (Hard): This crew will clear drainage and remove blowdown from Marcy Dam up to Avalanche Lake. Total Hiking Mileage: 8 miles. Elevation Gain: 900’ REGISTER NOW (FULL)
- ADK Property Ski Trails (Moderate) this crew will sidecut and remove blowdown along the ADK ski trail network. Total Hiking Mileage: 5 miles. Elevation gain 400’ REGISTER NOW
- Johns Brook Lodge (Moderate): This Crew will clear drainages and remove blowdown from the garden parking lot to Johns Brook Lodge. Total Hiking Mileage: 7 miles. Elevation Gain 300’ REGISTER NOW
- Marcy Dam (Easy): This crew will clear drainage and remove blowdown from the HPIC to Marcy Dam. Total hiking Mileage: 4.6 miles. Elevation Gain: 180’ REGISTER NOW
- Mt Jo (Easy): This crew will clear drainage and remove blowdown on the Long and Short trails on Mt. Jo. Total Hiking Mileage: 2.4 miles. Elevation Gain: 650’ REGISTER NOW
- Scott Clearing (Moderate): This crew will clear drainage and remove blowdown from Heart Lake to Scott Clearing. Total Hiking Mileage: 8 miles. Elevation Gain: 200’ REGISTER NOW
- Marge Tierney Trail (Easy): This crew will spruce up the Wheelchair accessible trail on the Adirondack Mountain Club Property. Work will include raking debris from trail, laying and compacting stone dust, and replacing timbers along the edges of the trail as necessary. REGISTER NOW