The Essex Chain Lakes Primitive Area is a recent purchase by the New
York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Head out with the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) and see what it is like to explore this primitive area!
- The Essex Chain Lakes Primitive Complex Area was purchased from The Nature Conservancy in 2013.
- The primitive classification was determined in 2014
- Campfires are not allowed in this area.
- The area is managed under a Stewardship Management Plan while the DEC develops a long term Unit Management Plan for the area
- Remember that all campsites require a permit. Permits can be acquired up to ten days in advance of your trip. Visit the Adirondack Interpretive Center website for reservations.
Do you want more information on the planning process surrounding the Essex Chain Lakes Complex? Visit ADK’s info page here.