Over the past two years ADK (Adirondack Mountain Club) has invested over one million dollars in infrastructure improvements at the Heart Lake Program Center to better serve the public and its members. If you came to Heart Lake this past summer there was a buzz of construction activity around the High Peaks Information Center and in the Wilderness Campground at Heart Lake. We appreciate everyone’s patience while this was taking place. By the end of November 2018 this two year project will be complete.
Construction will continue until the end of November but here is a list of improvements that have been made over the past year:
- A four season wash house for campers
- A seasonal concession stand
- Landscaping in front of the High Peaks Information Center (HPIC) including a boulder lined swale feature and a timber foot bridge
- Deck extension in front of the HPIC including a roof and built in seating.
- Electric vehicle chargers at the HPIC
- New fresh water well integrated with the Heart Lake Program Center water system including new piping and an upgraded delivery system
- New lift station and waste water treatment system for the new wash house
- New campground loop road with four tent sites and one canvas cabin on a platform
- Two frost free water spigots and new water line in the campground loop
- Three yurts on platforms for education programming
- New electric service for yurts
- Complete renovation of the existing wash house in the Heart Lake Wilderness Campground
- Addition to the staff cabin that includes women’s and men’s bathrooms and four new rooms
You can help support this project by making a donation today.