Donors and Members Bill of Rights
Your Rights as a Donor or Member
Thank you for your support. As a donor or member of ADK, you have the right to:
- Tell us how you would like your donation directed for use. If we do not receive specific information, we will direct your gift towards the most pressing need.
- Tell us how you would like your gift and membership to be recognized. You may opt to:
- Receive gift and membership acknowledgement through email or via regular mail. In keeping with our mutual concern for resources, we will send email confirmations to anyone who has provided an email address and has not specifically told us they prefer regular mail. We make every effort to acknowledge gifts and membership in a timely manner.
- Remain anonymous. From time to time, we publish the names of our donors in print and electronic communications. Unless you tell us otherwise, we will assume you are giving permission for your name to be shared. We do not publish lists of our members.
- Receive any gift premiums or membership discounts we are offering. In keeping with our mutual concern for resources, unless you specifically request to receive gift premiums, we will assume you would prefer we not send these items to you. Certain premiums may impact the portion of your donation that is tax deductible. This information will be noted on our materials.
- Choose what information you receive from us through the mail, social media and by other forms of communication.
- Opt out of any communications you do not wish to receive by clicking on the opt out option on electronic communications, checking the opt out check box on written materials and sending that back to us and you may call, email or write to us. We will gladly remove your name. Unless we hear from you, we will assume it is okay to continue to contact you.
- Opt out of receiving email by clicking the Safe Unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our email communications.
- Send an email requesting to change your membership status to us at Membership.
- Help protect natural resources by requesting an electronic copy of Adirondac magazine and chapter newsletters (where available). You can call us at 1-800-395-8080 or send an email to Membership to request your electronic version of the Adirondac magazine.
- Privacy. ADK is the sole owner of information collected through electronic and other communications. The information we collect will not be sold or rented. We do use information to:
- Contact you to acknowledge and thank you for your donation and/or membership.
- Invite you to upcoming events and activities. Invite you to renew your membership.
- Keep you up-to-date on things happening here at ADK and within the NYS Forest Preserve.
- Maintain records for financial, research/analytical and historical reasons. We share information as required by law with government agencies.
- Exchange member mailing lists with a select number of like-minded organizations. This ensures we can continue the vital work we do to protect and conserve the NYS Forest Preserve. We do not exchange lists of donors for any reason.
To process a charitable contribution or product purchase, it is necessary for ADK to gather name, email address, mailing address, phone, and credit card information. This data is used to verify identity and execute the financial transaction. Additionally, phone number and email address information may be used if there is a problem with the transaction.
It is ADK’s policy to limit access to financial information to professional staff and volunteers who need to process that information for the purposes described above. Personal financial information is not sold to or traded with other parties.
ADK may use service providers or online payment processing services (such as merchant banks and ecommerce integrators) for the express purpose of conducting financial transactions. Personal information is kept private and secure and is not sold, rented, or traded to third parties. It is important to note that credit card numbers, bank account numbers, or other financial account data sent directly to those processing services are used only at the time of the transaction and are not stored following the conclusion of the transaction.
ADK is committed to protecting donor personal information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. We undertake a range of security practices, including measures to help secure web access to sensitive data and undertake efforts to address security vulnerabilities for various tools and databases.
Data Retention: ADK seeks to retain donor-related information only as needed to fulfill the purposes described in this policy unless a longer retention period is required by law or regulations (such as financial record storage per IRS or NYS Charities Bureau, etc.).
We may disclose information when required by law; when needed to protect our rights, privacy, safety, property, donors, or users; and when necessary to enforce our terms of service.
Electronic Newsletter and Advocacy Information
If you opt to subscribe to any of our electronic communications through the sign-up forms on our site or while making a donation, ADK requests contact information such as name, phone and email address.
ADK provides links to other web sites. ADK is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. Site visitors are encouraged to be aware when they leave www.adk.org and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by www.adk.org.
Changes to this policy
ADK reserves the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to modify or correct any errors or omissions in any portion of this web site. If our information practices change at some time in the future we will post the policy changes to our Web site to notify you of these changes and provide you with the ability to opt out of these new uses. We encourage you to check our Web site periodically to be aware of the latest policies pertaining to how ADK uses donor information.
For questions regarding this policy statement, the practices of this site, if you feel that this site is not following its stated information policy, or to review or request changes to your contact information, you may contact us at the mailing and/or E-mail address below.
Adirondack Mountain Club
814 Goggins Rd
Lake George, NY 12845
Attn: Development Department