2016 Bill Memos and Positions
- Budget Bill –Opposed S6408-B because of disastrous ATV language in Senate Version of the Budget Bill. Read memo.
- Land Bank/ Forest Preserve Health and Safety Land Account-Support for A10721 Concurrent Resolution of the Senate and the Assembly proposing an amendment to article 14 of the constitution, in relation to allowing public utility lines and bicycle paths on certain state lands in the forest preserve and establishing a forest preserve health and safety land account. Read memo.
- Adirondack Conservation Design Legislation-Support A10669 Strengthens land use and development provisions in the Adirondack park so as to curtail rural sprawl. Read memo.
- Adirondack Raquette Lake Township 40 Enabling Legislation-Support S7966 and A10737 An Act approving land transactions relating to implementation of the settlement of property disputes in township 40, in the Town of Long Lake. Read memo.
- State Land Protection from ATVs –Support A1631-S4718 Prohibits the operation of all-terrain vehicles by the general public in the state forest preserve, Long Island central pine barrens area and Albany pine bush preserve. Read memo.
- EPF Payback-Support S3517-B and A4917-B
An act to amend the environmental conservation law, the state finance law and the tax law, in relation to transfers from the environmental protection fund to the general fund. Read memo.
- Closing the Hazardous Waste Loophole-Support S884 and A6859
Relates to the uniform treatment of waste from the exploration, development, extraction, or production of crude oil or natural gas. Read memo.
- Reducing Liability of Landowners Who Allow Recreation- Support S3101 and A1846 An act to amend the general obligations law, in relation to the liability of landowners who permit recreational uses. Read memo.
- Gifts to State Parks-Support S821 An act to amend the tax law, in relation to establishing the gift to state parks on personal income tax forms; and to amend the state finance law, in relation to establishing the state parks fund. Read memo.
- Adirondack Camp Gabriels Constitutional Amendment- Support S8028A Authorizes the state to convey certain forest preserve land; such sale shall be subject to legislative approval and the proceeds of such conveyance shall be used for acquisitions to the forest preserve. Read memo.
- Disastrous ATV Legislation Opening Parks and State Forests and Forest Preserve to ATVs (same as Senate Budget Bill)-Oppose S6791 An Act to amend the parks, recreation and historic preservation law, the vehicle and traffic law, the state finance law and the environmental conservation law, in relation to the creation of an ATV trail fund and the use of ATVs. Read memo.
- Undermines CP3 Policy–Allows ATVs on Public Land –Oppose S2533 and A803
An Act to amend the environmental conservation law, in relation to authorizing special access to hunting and fishing grounds on state land for handicapped individuals. Read memo.
- Increases ATV Weight Limit – Oppose S1792-A and A1951 An Act to amend the vehicle and traffic law, in relation to the definition of an all terrain vehicle or “ATV” Read memo.
- Creates Trail Fund in Parks Law, Opens State Land to ATVs, Increases Weight Oppose-S5821-A
An Act to amend the parks, recreation and historic preservation law, the vehicle and traffic law and the state finance law, in relation to the creation of an ATV trail fund. Read memo.
- Low Volume Roads (LVR)—Oppose A1837, S2265
This little known bill had great potential to preclude hiker access to DEC trailheads on low volume or seasonal roads. The bill would authorize towns to pass local ordinances enabling them to lower the level of road maintenance, stop plowing roads or even abandon roads leading to state trailheads. ADK lobbied opposed this bill, arguing that state taxpayers paid considerable taxes on Forest Preserve lands served by these LVR. The LVR bill passed the Senate, but we were able to block passage by the Assembly.
2016 Formal Comments
- Proposed 6 NYCRR Part 592, Conservation Easement Regulations Read comments.
- Overlook Mountain Wild Forest Unit Management Plan (UMP) Read comments.
- Grass River Wild Forest Draft Unit Management Plan (UMP) Read comments.
- 2016 APA State Land Classification Package including Boreas Ponds Read comments.
- Scoping comments by ADK on the Windham Range Wilderness UMP- Colgate Wild Forest UMP Read comments.
- Westward Waters Unit Management Plan Read Comments.