ADK’s popular Adopt-a-Lean-to program is thirty-five years old in 2020. Hundreds of volunteer adopters donate thousands of hours toward maintaining “their” lean-to and its environs, replacing registers, and reporting problems. Major construction is not required, but many adopters have worked on roof replacement, privy locations, log-staining, and other projects under the guidance of New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) personnel. ADK is extremely proud of all of these volunteers.
The following lean-tos are available for adoption:
- Remsen Falls – Black River Wild Forest (Herkimer)
- Russian Lake –Pigeon Lake Wilderness (Hamilton)
- Wilson Pond – Blue Ridge Wilderness (Hamilton)
- Pine Lake – HaDeRonDa Wilderness (Lewis)
- Burntbridge Pond – Cranberry Lake Wilderness (St. Lawrence)
- Deer Brook – High Peaks Wilderness (Essex)
- Placid – McKenzie Mountain Wilderness (Essex)
- Grizzle Ocean – Pharaoh Lake Wilderness (Essex)
As others become available, they will be listed here.
Lottery Drawing: Tuesday, April 7, 2020, at 9 a.m
You can enter the lottery to adopt an available lean-to by emailing program coordinator Hilary Moynihan, or mailing a letter or postcard to her at 149 Fitch Road, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Be sure to indicate which lean-to(s) you are selecting (no more than three).